2007-2018 Sprinter Van Front Carry Hitch Installation Instructions Download
Sprinter Front Carry Hitch Installation Instructions
DO NOT USE THIS HITCH FOR TOWING, PULLING OR WINCHING PURPOSES!
This hitch is designed for carry weight only. Examples of carry weight include; bicycle racks, carry platforms, etc. Do not block headlamps, turn lamps, driver’s view of road or restrict airflow to radiator and engine. Maximum carry weight is 300 pounds.
1. Front carry hitch installation is easiest if you can properly lift and support the front end of the vehicle. We recommend using 2 jacks and lift under the arm area. Be careful where you lift or you will damage frame crossmembers or suspension components. Jack stands with a minimum of 6 ton rating should be used and can be placed in the transmission crossmember area. The installation is easiest if you remove the tires and front bumper/fascia. Remove front grill, headlamp trim pieces and front fascia. These pieces interlock and have overlapping clips which can make removal difficult. Using a T25 Torx, remove the 4 upper grill bolts, figure 1. Lift and remove grill. Using a T30 and T20 Torx, remove the headlamp trim piece bolts, figure 2 . Both trim pieces remain attached to the fascia. Remove the step fascia bolts using a T45 Torx, figure 3. Remove license plate holder using a T20 Torx. Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor from the back of the plate holder. Using a 13mm socket, remove the fascia mounting bolts, figure 4. On both sides, remove the 2 plastic fasteners attaching the fender liner to the bottom of the fascia, figure 5. On both sides, remove the 3 plastic fasteners holding the inner fender liner to the rear part of the fascia, figure 7. If equipped, disconnect the fog lamps. The guide pins at the rear of the metal trim pieces (referred to in figure 2 above) snap into the fender and can be difficult to release. Pull the fascia and metal trim pieces for-
ward and up to remove assembly.
2. To ensure proper fit, use a scrapper and remove undercoating on both side of frame rail, figure 12. The hitch frame brackets mount on the inside of the frame rails. To locate mounting holes for drilling, you will use the right side bracket to drill the left side frame rail, figure 14. Clamp the left hitch frame bracket in place on the outside of the right frame rail, figure 14. The bracket must be flush back against the jack lifting saddle, figure 13 and the lateral support plate must be sitting flat up against the bottom of the frame rail, figure 15. Using the bracket holes as a guide, drill both 1/2” holes STRAIGHT through the rail. The holes must be straight and you MUST use a piece of metal or wood to protect coolant and turbo hoses as you drill through the inside frame rail. Repeat the procedure using the left side hitch frame bracket to drill the right side mounting holes. If your Sprinter is a Cab Chassis, you will need to temporarily remove the vacuum accumulator. Once the 4 mounting holes are drilled, swap the hitch mount brackets and install the four 1/2”x4.5” mounting bolts. Install the 4 backing plates, flat washers and Nyloc nuts. Tighten
bolts only to a loose/snug fit.
3. Make sure the hitch frame bracket is flat up against the lower frame rail. Using the hitch frame bracket as a template, drill a 7/16” hole in the bottom of the frame rail, see figure 16. Place the Carriage bolt retainer, figure 6, through the factory access hole in the bottom of the frame rail, figure 11. Insert the retainer with the rectangular Carriage bolt hole toward the front of the Sprinter. Using your finger, you can maneuver the retainer over the 7/16” hole you drilled. You can also use a screwdriver to help align the retainer over the hole. Wrap the supplied fish wire around the upper part of the 7/16”x1.5” Carriage bolt, see figure 8. Form the fish wire (see fig-ure 9) so you can work it, while holding the Carriage bolt, through the factory access hole. Place the Carriage bolt in the retainer hole and then through the frame 7/16” rail hole. This may be the most frustrating part of the installation. Once the bolt is partially through the frame hole and the frame bracket, install the flat Sprinter Store is a division of Upscale Automotive,
Inc. 19460 SW 89th Ave. Tualatin, OR 97062 503-692-0846 Fax 503-691-2763
4. Lift the hitch receiver assembly in place between the frame rail brackets and install the 1/2”x1.5” bolts, flat washers and Nyloc nuts. Begin tightening the four 1/2” the frame rail bracket and Carriage bolts, then being careful to evenly drawing the receiver assembly together tighten the receiver assembly. Tighten all 1/2” bolts to 75 pounds torque. Be sure to torque the Carriage bolts to 50 pounds.
5. You will need to cut out about a 3” wide by about 4” long section from the fascia. Install the fascia cover and slide on until the lower edge touches the receiver. Mark fascia and cut as needed. Once fascia is cut and in place, install all components removed in step 1. Your installation is complete. After driving with one or two carry loads, re-torque all nuts to specifications noted above washer, lock washer and nut. Turn the nut only 2-3 turns and then pull hard on the fish wire.
It will unwrap itself from the Carriage bolt. Tighten the Carriage bolt to a loose/snug fit. Once
the installation is complete, you will need to torque the Carriage bolts to 50 pounds torque.
Use this same procedure for the opposite frame bracket Carriage bolt installation.